Monday, March 17, 2014

Ten Guys You'll Probably Never Meet


I got an Instant Message today from someone named Dana, who works in my organization, but in a different office. I’d never met her before, or so I thought. When I got a phone call from Dana a few minutes later, I found out how wrong I was. Turns out, I’d never met him before.

This highlighted the fact that we should not jump to conclusions about a person based on his or her name. Come to think of it though, I’ve still never met Dana, so I'm just assuming he’s male based on his voice over the phone. I hope I’m not wrong again.

After this happened, a coworker and I talked about male and female names. We agreed that Dana is not the most unlikely of men’s names. We’ve both met guys named Kelly, Tracy, and Stacy. But neither of us has ever met a guy named Sarah. Since we here at Unintimidated by Convention feel lists are fun things to share, I give you Ten Names You’ll Probably Never Find on a Guy:

1. Sarah
2. Alicia
3. Brittany
4. Melissa
5. Amber
6. Tiffany
7. Rosalee
8. Margaret/Maggie
9. Catherine
10. Heather

Note that all bets are off if you’re dealing with a Frenchman. They use a whole different set of rules.


3 comments:

  1. Surely somewhere there's a boy named Sue.
    But probably not Shirley.

    I had that same exact thing today in an email string with someone named Dana.
    Boy, was I surprised.
    (I wonder how Dana Carvey feels about it...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Johnny Cash sang something about that Sue guy, and no doubt there's a lady somewhere named Johnny. I'd probably want to sue my parents if I were either of these.

    The Dana you're talking about did a pretty good job of carving out a niche for himself in comedy acting, so I don't think he's too worried about his Monica. I mean moniker.

    ReplyDelete