Sunday, October 23, 2011

Just File This One Under Miscellaneous

I'm due for a post, but I don't have anything elaborate prepared, so I'm gonna cop out with a few relatively pointless short entries. (Ugh! Has this once-intelligent blog already sunk to that level?) I promise to write something more substantial soon.

...

Several weeks ago, I told you about a disappointing Italian dinner the wife and I had. Tonight we made up for it by enjoying an absolutely wonderful meal at Biaggi's in Salt Lake City.

I had this:

FARFALLE ALFREDO
Grilled chicken, bowtie pasta, roasted red peppers, crispy Italian cured ham, sautéed red onions and peas tossed in our Alfredo sauce with Asiago cheese.

And Celeste chose:

FETTUCCINI WITH LOBSTER
Black fettuccini tossed with lobster, wild mushrooms and a homemade lobster-cream sauce.


Everything there was great: classy atmosphere, delicious food... even reasonable prices. And a server named Crystal took very good care of us. I highly recommend this place!

...

I'd now like to publish my first entry in a feature I'll call Stuff George Carlin Said.

I've already quoted him a few times since starting my blog two months ago, indicating that I really like him. There's a vast store of his material available, so I will periodically put up a short (or maybe not-so-short) quote with a few words of my own commentary. For the premier edition, I've chosen a one-liner:

"Did you notice that several years ago everything got different?"

Yeah, I've often noticed that and said, "What happened? I liked things how they were!" And yet, in some ways everything is the same as it ever was. Weird, huh?

...

Finally, to help my readers (both of you) get to know me a little better, here is a list of 39 more things I really like, in no particular order:

Ray-Ban sunglasses

Willie Nelson


Ice cold Coca-Cola in glass bottles

Helicopters

Lasagna and garlic bread

Ruger single action revolvers

Springtime


Hemingway

Log cabins

Monty Python

Peanut M&Ms


Starry nights in the mountains


Robert Frost's poems



Albert Camus' The Stranger

Pretty much anything they sell at REI

Tolkien

M.C. Escher

Khaki cotton slacks

Plaid flannel shirts


Pralines and Caramel ice cream

Walking my dog on a leash


The sound of a radial aircraft engine

Word games

The Once and Future King by T.H. White


Steam locomotives


Australia


Dutch oven cooking




That's enough for now. Later I'll give you a list of things I really dislike.


5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great meal.

    Ray-Ban sunglasses
    I love Ray Bans. Aviators (with the wire ear loops) were the first and only expensive pair of sunglasses I bought. I looked into Wayfarer prescription glasses and they ran over $450. I'll wait til my eyes get worse and I need a new prescription before I lay that out...

    Arrested Development (the sitcom)
    Are there so many people that are fans of Arrested Development (the mental state) that you needed to specify?

    Log cabins
    I used to have a crush on Mrs. Butterw- oh, the buildings. Yeah, those are nice too.

    Steam locomotives
    There's a tourist railway in New Hope Pa, where I got to ride in the steam locomotive. I was grinning like a little kid. I was 35 at the time.

    Looking forward to the list of dislikes too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Guap, I go with the Wayfarer II, which is like the original but with slightly smaller lenses. I prefer mock tortoise, but the black ones are also nice.

    I thought someone might assume I meant Arrested D, the hip-hop group. Definitely NOT on my list of faves.

    The crush on Mrs. B: You too?

    What I wouldn't give to drive a steam train just once!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs. Butterworth is stacked (literally) so I am now starting to understand your interest in my blog.

    Let's just hope AD (the sitcom) translates beautifully into AD (the movie). I for one plan to be the first in line.

    Flight of the Conchords. Love it so much. But it's so very inconsistent. My favorite is still the freestanding 'Jenny.'

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlYkIJVguCU

    ReplyDelete
  4. OldDog, I'm really looking forward to the movie, because three seasons of the TV series were not enough. I have the entire series on DVD, so I can get my fix anytime, but even a show this clever will eventually go stale through repeated viewings of the same 53 episodes.

    Did I hear right that they'll be making about 10 new episodes leading up to the movie?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, they said they would do 10 webisodes that would segue/lead into the movie.

    I think if AD was a British sitcom, it would have had a longer run. They seem to have a bigger appreciation for awkward humor than we Americans.

    ReplyDelete